31 Thoughts I, An Idiot American, Had While Watching German "Bachelorette"
Hi all! My name is Michelle and I'm a BuzzFeed writer from NYC, currently living in Berlin. Since arriving, I've been hearing a lot about how popular The Bachelorette is here (as it is back home), so I thought it'd be interesting to try and...
Hi all! My name is Michelle and I'm a BuzzFeed writer from NYC, currently living in Berlin. Since arriving, I've been hearing a lot about how popular The Bachelorette is here (as it is back home), so I thought it'd be interesting to try and watch the first episode with my nonexistent German skills.
And by the way, I've never seen the American Bachelorette either.
1. I understand enough German to know that "Die" is an article, but reading this title with my American brain is a really jarring way to start the show.
2. Her name is Gerda, and she's a huge influencer in Germany.
Okay, we're moving on to the male intros.
3. Fabiano looks like a gentleman in the streets, a freak in the sheets, and a yoga teacher in that one Friedrichshain studio with free tea.
4. Fabio looks like he just got done with a good, long cry.
5. Jonas' most indulgent purchase last year was a top-of-the-line hairdryer.
6. My study abroad expectation:
7. My study abroad reality:
8. We get it, YOU VAPE!
9. Is it me or is there something just so wholesome about these dudes? Just look at those smiles! They make me feel like a baby being cooed at.
10. Thank you Bachelorette, for this display of gentle masculinity and for being so progressive.
11. Side note: My favorite German phrase in this show and country so far is: “So,” pronounced “Zo.” Everyone says it. It’s their version of the American, “All rightie then!!